Saturday, February 2, 2008

...But I Guess Eagle Rock Got Skipped*



Our field trip in Eagle Rock began as usual...looking for a place to eat lunch. We wanted to go to Casa Bianca, but sadly they're not open for lunch. Driving along Colorado, we spotted Taco Spot (haha. spotted..taco spot...get it?) and decide that Mexican food will suffice our taste buds for today. I suppose the menu offers a healthy alternative to other Mexican restaurants I've ate at (they're vegetarian friendly and also offer wheat tortillas). I just ordered their taco plate while M ordered the shrimp tacos; both plates come with rice and beans and are decorated with a couple chips. I forgot to try their carne asada fries, but I guess I'll be coming here instead of San Diego to try it out. One thing I liked about the place, beside the food, is the hip design of their logo. Props for that, but negative points for playing the Phantom of the Opera movie soundtrack...it sorta ruined my festive taco mood.



A hop, a skip and one long jump away...we head over to the Forest Lawn Glendale museum to check out the Posters of the WPA exhibit. It's kind of a weird place to have an exhibit at a mortuary, but it's a free event that's worth checking out. In addition to war propaganda posters, there's definitely a cool mixture of posters done by many people who participated in the WPA and never seen art in museums, let alone studied art in school. Personally, I really enjoyed this exhibit because I love the flat avant-garde look created in these posters that are sorta resurfacing in concert posters and movie title credits.




Down where Colorado street hits hill...not really, but a friend of mine told me about this awesome soda pop shop called Galco's Soda Pop Stop. Located in Highland Park, this seriously is one store to check out. The whole store is loaded with drinks...compared to BevMo, this store is awesome. Endless brands of root beer, cream sodas, ginger ales, and even old timey Dr. Pepper in bottles! They also have a wide selection of beer, lagers, what have you. The area where there usually should be vegetables actually has an endless assortment of candy. The checkout stand looks like it's been there since the 50s and even the store itself was playing doo wop music...must check out if you haven't already!



I will never skip a rock again...and suddenly we end up at the Eagle Rock Fresh & Easy (that's what she said). My God, I love this store! Why can't there be a closer one to me. :( First of all, I like their logo and product design. Yes, I'm the type of person who will buy a product based on the packaging. Anyway, the store reminded me of a cross between Trader Joe's/Wholefoods minus the loud hawaiian shirts and crowded aisles. The products are cheaper than other supermarkets, but they also don't have a wide selection of stuff. Whatevs, I like the fact that you can check out and bag your own groceries and I left with a box of risotto!


*I haaaaad to use Ozma's song "Rocks" b/c it had a shout out to Eagle Rock. :P

No comments: