Sunday, June 8, 2008

Summer Concert Series Part 1: Los Campesinos

I've blogged briefly about these guys before and if you haven't checked sampled their tasty musical gems yet, you are indeed missing out. As noted before, LC(!) plays poppy, playful, and peppy music. The lyrics are 2 fast 2 furious and the guitars do that wall-of-sound-build-up-that-Broken-Social-Scene-does thing with some twee mixed in.

K and I arrived on the scene just as the first opening band was wrapping up their set.
The first band Abe Vigoda (not the actor) played some spastic pop-punk rock. I don't write about music good so I'll have to use the age-old device of comparing bands to other bands
in order to describe their sound. From the little I heard, they sounds like a less-gruff (i.e. lyrics are audible and no screaming) version of Cap N Jazz.
This is definitely not a bad thing, and I'll sample their stuff fo sho.

Next up was Paranthetical Girls. The lead singer had some antics like walking into the crowd and banging a drumstick against random objects. Even before their set began, I had
an inkling that I was going to enjoy it because among their instruments were xylophones, synths, and an omnichord. Homie also busted out the flute-keyboard instrument whose name I have yet to learn. Their music leaned toward the ambient side with slow build-ups. There were some quirky pop-songs that reminded me of older Of Montreal stuff.

The main event did not disappoint. LC played all their best jams and had tons of energy. The main dude busted out some spastic moves and almost broke his xylophone. A baby-mosh pit broke out and I busted out my pogo-jumping skillz. Concert season is upon us, and this was a great way to get the party started. Twee is making a xylophone/pianoflute/handclap comeback. My cardigan sweaters and I are ready.

Set list (which we were unable to physically procure) is as follows:

Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats
Don't Tell Me To Do The Math(s)
Death To Los Campesinos!
This Is How You Spell "Hahaha, We Destroyed The Hopes And Dreams Of A Generation Of Faux-Romantics"
Drop It Doe Eyes
Tweexcore
Knee Deep At ATP
My Year in Lists
Frontwards
We Are All Accelerated Readers
... And We Exhale And Roll Our Eyes In Unison
You! Me! Dancing!
We Throw Parties, You Throw Knives <--- BEST SONG

Encore:
Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks



No comments: